Social Media — It’s a snapshot of time, that’s it.

Happy October! You have made it through your first full month of college! Congratulations! I hope that things have gone well for you thus far, and if not, that’s okay. You’re in month two, and there’s always time to change things that you are not quite happy with!

Let’s talk about social media. I can remember feeling a bit out of place at this point during my freshman year. I’m from Wisconsin, and a lot of my friends from high school went to local universities with a bunch of people they already knew. According to their social media posts, they were having the time of their lives. Every weekend they were at social events, or out doing something fun and cool. They looked like they had a million friends, they seemed like they were always busy, and every single one of them acted like their university was the greatest place ever.

While I was enjoying my time at college, their Instagram photos and Snapchat stories did not really line up with what I was experiencing. I had three or four friends—certainly not the 20 or 30 friends they seemed to have—and I spent a great deal of time in my room or the library doing homework and studying. I was overwhelmed with the amount of work I had to do, and I did not really feel like I fit in at UA just yet.

But here’s the thing to remember about social media—it’s a snapshot of time, that’s it. Your friends at other universities feel the same way you do. It’s easy to make yourself look like the life of the party in just one picture. I promise everyone feels a little out of place. College is overwhelming, especially your first few months.

Nobody posts about the moments when they feel lonely, question their major, or wonder if the college they chose was really the right one. People post their best moments, not their worst ones. So, take what you see on social media with a grain of salt. And if you’re feeling lonely or feel like you haven’t found your place yet, give yourself a break. Not everything is as instantaneous or easy as we think, and some things just take time. Adjusting to a new community is one of those hard, time-consuming things.

You’ll get there. Trust me.

Sincerely,

Alyssa Comins

Contributor for UA Traditions